The Nile Basin Development Challenge (NBDC) and the wider Challenge Program for Water and Food tried out several communication tools and approaches to make its research more useful and more likely to be used.
Among these tools and approaches, digital stories or photofilms) have proven to be great ways to place stories and human lives at the core of our work and thereby to capture and communicate the research we have conducted in more effective ways. Digital stories help bring a lively and authentic feel to the stories shared. They can be used at field level for real life stories, as well as at higher levels to summarize conceptual work in a simpler way.
See an example of these digital stories below: a story weaving together the eight key messages of the Nile Basin Development Challenge and introducing a new paradigm for rainwater and land management in Ethiopia:
The latest NBDC technical report is an introductory guide to help people use photos, videos and audio files to develop such digital stories. The guide was produced for internal use by the Nile Basin Development Challenge (NBDC) but has wider usefulness.
The guide explains how to make a digital story. From interviewing and photographing to editing the pictures and audio-recordings and finally merging image and sound.
Discover 14 digital stories developed under the NBDC:
- NBDC experiences with fodder development in Diga, Ethiopia
- NBDC experiences with fodder development in Fogera, Ethiopia
- Innovation platforms for improved livelihoods and rainwater management in Ethiopia
- Farmer field days in the Nile Basin Development Challenge
- Participatory video in the Nile Basin Development Challenge
- An integrated watershed rainwater management paradigm for Ethiopia: Key messages from the NBDC
- NBDC key message: Empower local communities and develop their leadership capacities
- NBDC key message: Encourage innovation by integrating and sharing scientific and local knowledge
- NBDC key message: Strengthen and transform institiutional and human capacities
- NBDC key message: Create, align and implement incentives
- NBDC key message: Adapt new models and tools for planning, implementation and capacity building
- NBDC key message: Integrate multiple interventions at watershed and basin scales
- NBDC key message: Consider downstream costs and benefits of land and water management interventions
- NBDC key message: Improve markets, value chains and multi-stakeholder processes